Friday, November 28, 2008

Bugs...YUM!!!

Today I did something new. I ate a scorpion. Correct that, scorpions. Yes you read right, I ate a carnivorous arthropod that had been fried in oil, seasoned with salt and placed a top a helping of pico de gallo( diced tomatos, habnero chilli pepers and onions) on a corn tortilla chip. Right before that we tried chocholate covered scorpions. You may ask: what do they taste like? Well the chocolate covered scorpion tasted, like, well chocolate! The scorpion I wolfed down on the corn torillia chip, that tasted like the pico de gallo with lemon of course. No self respecting Mexican eating a scorpion would leave out the lemon! The University Michoacana San Nicolas de Hidalgo in asociation with the municipal government held a "bug tasting extravaganza" today at the historic Alfredo Zalce Museum here in Morelia, Michoacan. Here are some pictures to prove my gastronomical adventure. ¡Provecho!


The scorpion on the tortilla chip
The scorpion in my mouth

Scorpions in gelatin
Crickets in rice pudding

No comments:

Post a Comment